When it comes to establishing your home or business security, one of the first considerations can be determining the best type of lock(s) to install. However, it certainly helps to understand the terminology which will describe the items that you might be looking for. In addition to this, you’ll need to know the strengths and limitations that define the locks that you’re currently researching. These characteristics can then be matched up with the conditions and purposes that the lock(s) will be used for. Main considerations include:
- Will you be using the lock indoors or outdoors? For outdoors, you will probably need to look at weatherproof locks. Some specifics can include locks that are to be used in salt water atmospheric conditions. If this is the case, you may want to take a look at Marine Grade locks, which won’t be subject to salt water corrosion.
- What level of security will the lock be used for? This can range from a simple padlock for securing a gym locker to electronic identification locks for securing company information that is considered extremely sensitive.
- What is the likelihood of the location being compromised? Will there be a need for an extra heavy construction design? There may also be a need for heavy construction for locks that are located in a high traffic area.
- You will also want to consider the type of material of the object/location being secured. There will need to be different lock characteristics for use with glass, metal, wood, etc.
- How many individuals will need to access the lock? This could necessitate the need for a programmable combination lock along with a master access key/combination.
- Will the lock need to be accessed and/or programmed remotely?
- Is a specific aesthetic design/color required?
Other requirements may also need to be considered, depending on the security location and circumstances. By narrowing down the requirements for the lock(s) you need, you can significantly cut down on the time you will need to spend looking over what’s available. This will also assure that you will end up with the type of effective security you’re looking for.