Thinking about hiring a professional locksmith in dealing with your security problems? We’ll help by discussing some important things to consider when hiring a locksmith, such as: licenses, reputation and agreements.
Below are 3 important things to consider when hiring a locksmith:
Many states have processes by which handymen can become certified in their field of expertise, whether it’s as a handyman or a contractor. Ask each potential handyman if he is certified, and see a copy of that license before having one of them proceed with the work. Source: RedFin
Not all contractors operate within the law. Here are some tip-offs to potential rip-offs.
A less than reputable contractor:
- Solicits door-to-door
- Offers you discounts for finding other customers
- Just happens to have materials left over from a previous job.
- Only accepts cash payments
- Asks you to get the required building permits
- Does not list a business number in the local telephone directory
- Tells you your job will be a “demonstration”
- Pressures you for an immediate decision
- Offers exceptionally long guarantees
- Asks you to pay for the entire job up-front
- Suggests that you borrow money from a lender the contractor knows. Source: HGTV
Insist on a written agreement laying out the job details, costs and payment schedule. Be clear about the times you expect the work to be started and completed. It’s extremely important to get all guarantees in writing. Source: AngiesList