The 3 basic home security tips outlined below will help make your home a safer haven. Read on!
- Secure all accessible windows with secondary blocking devices
- Block accessible windows open no more than 6 inches for ventilation
- Make sure someone cannot reach through an open window and unlock the door
- Make sure someone cannot reach inside the window and remove the blocking device
- Use anti-lift devices to prevent window from being lifted out
- Use crime prevention or alarm decals on ground accessible windows. Source: CrimeDoctor.com
- To help burglar-proof your home, install 1-inch throw deadbolt locks on all exterior doors.
- A door with too much space between the door and the frame is an invitation for the burglar to use a jimmy. Reinforce the door with a panel of 3/4-inch plywood or a piece of sheet metal.
- If there are door hinges on the outside of your house, take down the door and reset the hinges inside. Otherwise all a thief has to do to gain entry to your home is knock out the hinge pin.
- You can burglar-proof your glass patio doors by setting a pipe or metal bar in the middle bottom track of the door slide. The pipe should be the same length as the track. Source: Howstuffworks.com
Appear like You’re Home
Use lights on timers, or at least leave a few turned on. Consider leaving on a radio. If you are on vacation or away from home at night, there’s a clever fake TVdeterrent which will create an effective illusion that someone is home. Source: ModernSurvivalBlog.com
If you want to learn about different home security options, please give us a call or contact us here.
Mr. Locksmith Vancouver
555 West Hastings Street
Vancouver, BC V6B 4N4
Phone: (604) 239-0882